Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Karate Yoga, DREs, and The Lighter Side of Snow Plows!

Last night while I was out shlogging away at the terrible mess left behind by the sidewalk plow,* I had a brief exchange with my across the street neighbour Peter, who was dealing with the same situation. “How’s it going?” he asked.

“Pretty good” I replied. “You?”

“I’m thinking about buying a snow plow.”

“Ha ha, me too, it’s a real chore isn’t it?” I’m not sure if that's exactly what I said, but something equally cordial and banal.

That was about it. He finished before I did. My roommate came home and helped out, as I went off to yoga, where the absolute highlight of my day was a guy I can only refer to as karate yoga man.

We were all working hard, but crimm, it was Monday night yoga; and it’s not like there was a scout there or anything. This guy was directly in front of me, impeding my mirror space even. So when came the time to fix my gaze and hold a posture, all I could see was him.

His intensity was…um... off the charts. I’ve never seen anyone busting it so hard at yoga. He was pushing himself so far that his postures and movement were totally sharp and erratic looking, like karate yoga, seriously. I loved every second of it...

Today I learned that practical application and replication really are the best means of skill acquisition. I performed at least a dozen digital rectal exams, on a dozen very different bums. I can honestly say that at this point I would be completely at ease with the prospect of performing a rectal on almost anyone, almost anywhere. Thank you Dr. D. for giving me this gift.

When I arrived home just now Peter was outside, playing with (you guessed it) his new snow plow. He wasn’t even plowing his driveway, which he shovelled last night. He was plowing the snow bank into the road. I smiled in his direction, and he looked up with the biggest shit eating grin I have ever seen. He gave me two giant thumbs up, the look on his face reminiscent of Jack Nicholson’s work in The Shining. Winter in Canada - scary business.

- tabby

*note - i am unsure of the spelling of the word plow. is it more rightly spelled plough? who cares i guess...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mer, sorry to be like this, but the Kubrick film is "The Shining", not the "Shinning" which was coined on the Simpsons. So the guy actually bought a plow? What Kind?

12:51 PM  
Blogger telltale tabby said...

Dear Jampaq,

Thank you for alerting me. I feel like I had food in my teeth and you were kind enough to let me know. I believe the typo is fixed.

Re: the plow - it is a shiny (not shinny) yellow and black, hand-held contraption. A bit of an eyesore actually. But, as they say in Edmonton, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

3:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home