Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Bits and Bites

Bear Down
Just like my backyard robin and cardinal found interspecial love, it seems a grizzly and polar bear have shacked up in a show of arctic fever, and created some hybrid progeny. Even more interesting is the fact that this ‘love cub’ was not the undesired product of a one night stand, or moment of weakness. Apparently, bears are ‘induced ovulators’, which basically means the female bear won’t ovulate until she’s pretty likely to get some action. So these two bears probably spent a bit of time getting to know each other before doing the deed.

Anyway, what I find particularly interesting about this story is the fact that people are speculating that different types of bears mating is a never before seen phenomenon, and is very likely a function of declining polar bear populations. Here’s the thing: the hybrid bear was discovered when an American sport hunter shot and killed it. Does it seem kind of stupid to anyone else that some dumb fukkin’ “sport hunter” should be up north on a guided hunting expedition that has as its’ sole objective to shoot an animal whose numbers have been steadily declining. Isn’t that the real story here? WTF is going on around here.

Are you Bipolar? No, I’m an anaesthetist
There’s this anaesthetist at my hospital and he is the most embittered, aggressive person I’ve ever met. Some of the stuff I’ve heard come out of his mouth is shocking even to my hardened, cynical core. He talks all machisimo and shit, and he knows everything about everything. He is loud, condescending, and uncouth.

Well on Sunday morning, after an 18km run that resulted in extreme fatigue and intermittent left hemi paralysis, I was driving home down Bank Street. I stopped at a red light and watched as a lovely, smiling, older couple crossed the street. Imagine my shock and amazement when I realized that the male half of this joyous twosome was the vitriolic doctor. He was so relaxed, smiling and holding his wife’s hand. I can understand and accept some degree of professional/personal difference in one’s disposition but I cannot comprehend how this guy could be so different outside of the hospital. Crazy eh?

Moon Boots Anyone?
I bought these new running shoes. They are seamless on the inside, which is supposed to minimize blisters and chaffing. They are also known for having great cushioning. These factors are important to me. There’s just one catch. They are made in Japan by a relative newcomer to the running shoe market and they look like baby blue space shoes. Totally bizarre, but I just simply could not resist their charms. Sometimes looks don’t matter nearly as much as the rest. I’d rather be affiliated with a smart, forward-thinking shoe, than a sexy poorly engineered espadrille.

Miscellaneous
This morning I saw some patients in clinic. This afternoon, we did some cystoscopy and a couple of vasectomies. Then I left to go to class, which our lecturer did not show up for yet again. So, I went to the grosh and then trimmed the weeds in my yard with the lawnmower. The neighbours had been complaining about their declining property values.

good night my loves,
Tabby T

2 Comments:

Blogger telltale tabby said...

Hi BBCTCHR,

I guess this is just one more example of how you just never know what kinds of things people are dealing with in the personal lives.

It's always so tempting to tell someone who's being a total asshole where to go. But maybe work is the only place where this person feels he can justify blowing off steam? I agree it's no excuse for his treatment of patients, but at least we could accord him a touch of extra professional leeway.

T

7:12 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

That was too funny! Continue the ranting.

1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home