Friday, May 12, 2006

Disappointment !

I went out on a blind date tonight. I had exchanged a fair bit of email with this person, but never met him. I have to admit, I had high expectations; not about the guy’s looks, but about his demeanor and personality. His writing was always witty, smart, and grammatically correct. I assumed we’d hit it off.

I guess it’s my own fault for having any expectations, but I couldn’t help but feel a little disappointed. Sure, he’s a nice guy, but I felt no spark, not one iota of attraction, nothing. How does this kind of thing happen? How can someone who comes across as so smart and funny in writing just not deliver in person?

I’ve been off the dating horse now for several months, but was thinking it might be time to wade back into the waters. Well, apparently I was wrong. I never want to date anyone ever again. If this means celibacy and artificial insemination, then so be it.

It’s funny though isn’t. Interpersonal attraction is so unpredictable. I rarely get really excited about someone, but the last time I did, it did not go as I would’ve liked. I didn’t understand why because I was really a smitten kitten (perhaps too much so) but I guess he just wasn’t grooving on me, much like how I felt about my new pal tonight. I didn’t even want to shine my special light on him.

So there you have it. I tried. But I just don’t think I have many more dates like this one in me. Luckily, I was able to flag down a good friend who helped me drown my sorrows in a beer. It is a very well adapted coping mechanism.

Bottoms up,
Tabster

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Tabster - I am sure that you will at some point find someone that is perfect for you! You have to keep looking, giving up is not an option!! Well, it is easy for me to say that but really - you are a good catch....just keep telling people that you are a Doctor.... :)

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just remember, dear Tabby: If things had turned out differently, it might have been you and me together, fighting the world's battles in the name of everlasting love.

We might have had a weblog called "Leaping in Heart First" dealing with a myriad of couple's issues like Pope-sanctioned birth control methods, raising a Christian family in an increasingly secular world, and spicing up the bedroom with wholesome changes of pace.

I'd have gone to watch Junior's little league game while you stayed home with the girls and taught them to bake your famous brown betty. We'd sing together in the parish, have June and Barry over for dinner on weekends, and I'd take you on a romantic golf vacation in North Carolina.

Like you said: "You'll never know what was behind door number 2".

2:15 PM  
Blogger telltale tabby said...

Dear TOAO and Nick,

You are both wonderful friends. Your respective partners are lucky gals!

I've just been given a disfiguring haricut, which will undoubtedly keep the boys at bay for some time to come.

T

3:01 PM  
Blogger telltale tabby said...

Dear BBCTCHR,

would both show you the disastrous haircut and explain the "special light" concept, if i ever saw you. i never see you anymore. i hope you are well. your kid must be like 4 years old by now!

T

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home