Thursday, July 27, 2006

Sunset Rubdown....

If I ever have a child, and that child comes home one day and says to me “mom, I want to play the drums”, I will briefly hesitate and then say to that child, “okay, let’s make it so”. Then, I will go to a big box store and buy all of the necessary equipment to sound proof a room in my basement. I will buy the child a used drum kit. I will pay for lessons for said child.

Why go to all this trouble for an ungrateful tween you ask? Well, the fact of the matter is, there is just nothing cooler than going to a show and watching the drummer rock his brains out hardcore. It is better if the drummer is a girl, but I’ve seem some pretty amazing guys too. You just have to figure that at some point, these kids' parents were somewhat on board with support and encouragement.

Tonight was one such event. I went to see the Sunset Rubdown. It is a Wolf Parade side project of Spencer Krug’s. Despite feeling tired and incredibly sweaty, I really enjoyed the show. They put out some good vibes and, for my added enjoyment, all of the actors were in place for a wonderful social analysis: The narcissistic (but undeniably talented) lead singer and keyboardist, the xylophone playing back up singer, with the most amazing perm and cherry cheekbones in the world (she loves the lead singer, and flashes her giant, beautiful dimple at him constantly, he loves only himself), the drummer who rocked himself into a frenzy, and the quiet guitarist. And that was only on stage. Imagine what the crowd had to offer!

The opening band was also pretty decent, though in fairness I only caught 2 songs. Here is what I was thinking whilst they played. “man, these guys are not bad – for a bunch of 15 year old kids”. Then it occurred to me (not for the first time, but perhaps more concretely than in the past), "this is the next generation. I am past my rock out prime". It is hard to lust after the band members when you feel like you could be their teenaged mom, or much older sister. Something about it just don't seem right.

The way I see it, I am left with three options:

1. discontinue attendance at all rock shows where the majority of band members are under25
2. continue to attend, but more in the role of a curious chaperone (i.e., I wonder what the kids are listening to these days....)
3. only attend folk concerts, or shows by Rush, Tom Cochrane, or ZZ Top.

I haven’t yet decided which avenue to pursue.

I want to post something about my experience with peds, but honestly, it’s been so rich that I don’t even know where to start. Currently, I am doing a 2 week stint in hematology/oncology – basically, childhood cancers and bleeding disorders. It is so multilayered. On the one hand, the kids are amazingly smart and stoic. On the other hand, it can be pretty depressing to see how sick some of the muffins are. It seems like some of them just can't catch a break. Ironically, they are usually the bravest ones.

I will try to say more tomorrow. Currently, my sheets are calling.

Mocha bear, here is some specific advice for you: go to sleep. Also, do not bring your computer to bed. It is a bad habit and will rot your mind. Bed is for sleeping, cuddling, and shagging. Actually, that is good advice for all of you.

xot

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm having a blog party! Come on by...it would be awesome if you made an appearance!

10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Tabster,
I have availability Wed or Thursday this week. Wanna play?

9:53 AM  
Blogger telltale tabby said...

my italian friends,

i am back from the wilderness, ready to party and play.

t

11:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home