Thursday, February 22, 2007

Update Vittles


It’s been a long time, I know. Since we last talked, I have been to Toronto, where I interviewed for a residency position at Harvard North. Because I was in the T-dot anyway, I decided to make a little vacation out of it and spent the weekend with Tiger and Turtlecat. We had a great time. One of the highlights was dinner at George, a friggin’ great restaurant. I also saw Tamcat and my friend Sarah. On the Monday I took a little road trip out of the GTA to visit with my friend Peach and her baby girl Asha. We had a great day of fun.

I’ve been home now since last Tuesday, deciding to cancel my last interview because I had limited interest in matching to family medicine at McGill. This week I started a paediatric infectious disease elective. I had set up the elective when I was considering applying to peds, and decided to keep it so that I could finally solidify my knowledge of antibiotics. Well, I’ve been working really long days, and it’s kind of hard stuff. I like it, but I just cannot imagine working these kinds of hours when I am done residency. It reinforces my decision to choose something that will be stimulating and great, but not all consuming. I can’t imagine how much reading I would need to do in order to stay up to snuff on all the latest bugs and drugs. Plus, I don’t understand the first thing about bacteria and viruses.

Anyway, things are going well, and I have some funny stories to tell, like the one about when I went to my UofT interview, got there late, and then burst in on a presentation in a room filled with about 60 dark-suited people. Worse still, I had thought that everyone had breakfast already, so I grabbed a couple of Danishes and some juice in the way in. imagine my surprise when I realized that the extensive spread of food was actually for after the presentation! Then I tripped over a guy who turned out to be the program director, and there were no seats left, so I had to prop myself up on something for the hour long duration of the presentation - my Danishes in plain sight.

I would like to tell you more, but a couple of minutes ago, Bobcat and I re-opened the discussion on how we will rank our residency choices. It is a pretty sensitive topic, and I had to stop part way through the discussion and ask for a recess. I felt the rage building up inside of me, and I know in my heart I am just too tired for this right now. As such, I am going to head to bed.

I will rise early tomorrow to look over the ins and outs of meningitis. The day is already shaping up to be super busy, so I will need to have some beauty sleep if I’m going to tackle it properly. Plus, we have curling tomorrow night.

Tomorrow if I have the energy, I will tell you all about how I suspected Henoch Schoelien Purpura in a kid I saw this morning, and that is what he ended up having! I was pretty proud of myself indeed. It kind of offset the fact that I had said “I don’t know” in response to about 60 questions posed by my staff doc.

Okay, good night. I hope you all sleep tight.

Tabby xo

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh Tabby? Why didn't you stop by the Loo to meet our little man? We would have loved to see you.
S (and R too)
P.S. I read your blog faithfully and LOVE it. You should write a book.

2:53 PM  
Blogger telltale tabby said...

Dear Sarah,

It broke my heart not to be able to stop by and see you guys. I always feel so torn when I go to Waterloo. In the end, I would not have been able to have a proper visit, and I didn't want to dart in and out.

Thanks for the props. I miss you guys, and think that Ben has the most expressive baby face I have ever seen. I can't wait to meet him next time you are in O-town, or I am in the Loo.

xxxoooo tabby

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Tabby,
After I posted I realized that I may have come across as bitchy or accusatory. It wasn't meant that way...but I left it because I didn't want to sound crazy by adding another post...which I've now done. R and I totally know how you feel about visiting people in a short time...it happens to R every time he goes home and it's a huge pain in the ass. And while I'm randomly babbling via computer I just wanted to add that you remind me and Rolland of Lisa Loeb...that is if she were a cat of course.

12:49 PM  
Blogger telltale tabby said...

Dear Sarah,

I did not think you sounded bitchy or accusatory. I already felt guilty for not having been able to come over.

Do you think I look like the cat version of Lisa Loeb? Or act like her?

Will you ever be coming here to visit?

tabs

7:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We both think that you look like and act like Lisa Loeb. I want to come to Ottawa soon, but you know R...he's being a spaz about the travelling. I say that we should just rent a van and go...Ben'll adapt just fine. We'll see. Congratulations about the matching, and when did love come into the picture?

2:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home