Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Cool as a Cucumber Tonight

Here is a photo of the path leading down the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. In July, this path descends into what feels like the fuckin’ centre of the earth on a hot day. It's unbelievably hot down there!

When I stepped out of the hospital this afternoon and was nearly incinerated by a wall of heat, it occurred to me that I had experienced this sensation before. Where though? Today was definitely one of the hottest days I can remember in O-town. South East Asia is also terribly hot, but the fit wasn’t quite right in my mind’s eye. Then it occurred to me - the basement of the Grand Canyon is where I had experienced this crippling heat in my past. I had not felt it again since - until today.

Henceforth, I am using tonight as one of the 2-3 luxury nights of air conditioning I take per summer. I know in terms of energy consumption, I am not doing anything to help the grid. But I figure if everyone only turned on their air con for 2 nights every summer, we would sure save a boat load of energy. Also, I am making a very concerted effort to bike to work, even though it means I look like kaka all day. Have I rationalized this glorious night of cool, quiet, sleep enough? Probably not, but I will savour every sweat-free moment.

I hope you are feeling well and happy,

Love Tabby

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Tabs...today was a fuckin inferno in KW and Hamilton. Ben had to go for an eye exam and I almost shit myself when I walk out the front door. I thought...if this is kicking my ass, what is it going to do to my baby?? Anyhow, we survived. Glad to hear that your AC is on and that you are livin it up. The Environment has taken a hit from me since the peanut was born. I don't give a rats ass what I do if it is to keep him safe and comfortable...that includes putting on my best "Southern Lebanon" face when the locals look at my funny :)

11:04 PM  
Blogger telltale tabby said...

Dear TOAO,

i'm glad you are watching out for your little man. he is so adorable. he needs you to intervene on the temperature regualtion front.

the AC took forever to kick in properly the other night. the heat and humidity were unreal.

xoxoxot

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home