Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Legumes as Emotional Healers

When a really long time elapses between posts, it almost feels overwhelming to think about drafting an update. I know, it’s my own fault for not being more on top of things, but you know how it is, life gets busy sometimes. I’ve talked a lot of smack over the past several months about getting back to blogging on a regular basis, and have yet to put my money where my mouth is, so I won’t make any promises here tonight. We’ll just have to see how it goes.

It looks like the last post I wrote was on March 11th, when I was still up in North Bay. So much has happened since then. At least 3 of my friends have had babies, and others are at varying stages of pregnancy. I’ve also finally had a chance to visit NYC, which was very exciting and fun, and long overdue.

I got back from NB at the start of April and Pesto was on her semi-annual tour of West Africa, so I was able to squat at her condo for several weeks. When she got back, the place became a little small and I was starting to feel like maybe it was time to put down some roots.

I briefly entertained the thought of moving into my friend James’ basement in the house he shares with his brother and some other freak roommate. It was a very generous offer, but one look at the tiny, dank, dark, hockey-equipment laden place brought me back to reality, and I decided it was time to get an apartment of my own.

Finding this place was surprisingly easy. Sometimes things do fall into place just as you’d like them to. The move was a bit more difficult because some pivotal pieces of furniture would not fit in the doorway. Throughout my year of nomadic existence, I had promised myself that the one item I would purchase when I finally got a place of my own was a fabulous queen-sized bed (I may have even posted something about this). After one month, three delivery attempts, and a switch to the split box spring, that dream became a reality and I now have the most bitchen bed in the world. It’s so high off the ground that I have to climb up into it. I am coated with joy the minute I lie down every night.

My new apartment is pretty great. It is geographically located exactly where I wanted to be, and has more or less all of the features from my wish list. This is a far cry from the smoky, ghetto apartment I was staying at in North Bay, where I was frequently awoken by either a domestic dispute, or the police knocking at the door downstairs. One night I even watched from the window as a drunk, homeless person, tried to break into my car at 4 o’clock in the morning!

Despite the above calamity, North Bay was good to me. I learned how to skate ski yo! It also allowed me some space and time to figure things out and I returned home happy, with a new attitude, and well on my way to being a fit bitch. There was a minor setback with some shin splints in early May, but with physio and some very painful deep tissue massage, I was able to complete the Fit Bitch Program by running my first marathon on May 25th. What a day. I won’t elaborate too much, but the race exceeded my expectations tenfold. I couldn’t believe how great I felt right up until the end. Basically, I rocked it.

So, those are the main highlights of the past few months, and here I am now about to start my second year of residency. It’s amazing how time flies. Even though last year was one of the most difficult of my life, it seems to have evaporated into thin air. I just completed my emergency medicine rotation and it was so busy that I couldn’t even think about blogging because all I did was work, eat, and sleep, which is too bad because I would’ve had some good stories to share. I can’t even remember any of it now.

Last week, I was on holidays and celebrated by smashing my car in reverse into the side of my house as hard as I could. It totally sucked, but I have since rationalized it away. There was a gate there, which I didn’t like, and now the gate has been removed. I have also discovered an excellent mechanic who does body work. As of today, it is all a distant memory.

This morning we had orientation for the new residents. My allergies have been acting up like crazy this year, and this morning I woke up with super swollen eyes. I took a double dose of Reactine, thinking this would solve the problem. But to no avail, it was actually getting worse. So I did what anyone would. I purchased some Benedryl and took a good sized dose of it. Then I struggled to stay awake for the balance of the morning. According to the girl sitting next to me, my eyes were completely crossed at one point. It was painful.

Tonight I had soccer. I know what you’re thinking. Tabby? Soccer? That’s never been her thing. Well, you’re right. It is completely new to me and I’m sucking hard. But I do have some fun, and it’s good to expand your athletic horizons right?

So, I think that’s pretty much the update. I’m starting a new rotation tomorrow, where I’ll be for the next 6 months. With that kind of stability, hopefully there will be time to write. There are also camping trips and a vacation in Italy coming up, and these will undoubtedly provide the fodder for many Tabby tales.

I’m also considering putting the story of Vince at Evergreen Manor into writing, so maybe that will be my next project....

I miss you all,

xo Tabby


Anonymous not a real doctor said...

so good to see you're back. congrats on the new bed! we got a new bed last year and i can't believe how much it has improved the quality of our lives. love it, love it, love it.

thanks for the shout out to evergreen manor. long live the manor!

12:43 PM  
Blogger telltale tabby said...

Long live the Manor indeed! I wonder what the rent is at that place these days?


10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home