Tuesday, July 29, 2008

On coveting and smoking...

I love summer so much. It’s something about being out and about, not having to wear socks, and not being bundled up with a silk long john suit under my clothes and a big winter coat. I love feeling warm all the time.

There’s this little street on my way home from the gym. It’s not really a street, but it’s not exactly an alley either. I love cutting through there, can’t exactly say why. Today as I was passing through, I saw a nun sitting in her full nun outfit on her back porch, having a chat with some guy. I really like nuns, and they seem to like me too. This one was no exception. We locked eyes, and she threw her hand up in a big, emphatic wave. I did the same. It was a great experience.

About 2 seconds later, it came to my attention that tonight was the big night for Shakespeare in the park right beside my place. What a joyful event – except that it was Romeo and Juliet, which is pretty sad actually.

I was thinking on my way home from the gym, that I seem to have developed a nasty little habit lately of coveting other people’s stuff. Today, as I walked by the house I love so much at 73 Bayswater, I imagined its future owners. I thought about how lucky they’d be, and I was jealous – jealous of complete, unknown strangers. How lame is that? The coveting has taken on even more sinister proportions lately, but I won’t get into it. Suffice it to say, it’s a nasty little habit, and I really should know better. I imagine it’s kind of like taking up smoking as an adult. You’re definitely smart enough to know it's bad for you, and plus it's totally gross. It doesn’t take long to feel completely disgusted with yourself. I’ve decided to try and kick the habit.

xot

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

tabby, no need to be so hard on yourself for being human (or feline).

‘coveting’ (though unfortunately misappropriated into biblical absurdity) is neither lame, nor nasty nor sinister. If anything, it's a healthy desire to dream, yearn for, and enrich our lives with things that bring us joy. In moderate doses it just plain keeps us ambitious, and focused on what we love – and it certainly won’t cause cancer :)

6:58 PM  
Blogger telltale tabby said...

ds,

I know it's only human, and I hope it won't cause cancer. I think it's just not good for the soul to be always looking into someone else's backyard, or thinking their grass is greener, or whatever, you know what I mean.

You'll be happy to learn that I've been taking steps toward forgiving myself for this guilty pleasure!

xot

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, suffer house envy.

It's the pits.

5:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home