Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Aqua Fit Dropout!


When Phoebecat joined the gym, she stipulated that she really wanted to do Aqua fit. I support these kinds of pursuits, so when she asked me to come with her to first class, I said sure. How hard could it be? I mean, it’s splashing around in a pool for crying out loud. We picked an ab-buster class so that we could get ripped while splashing around.

Now at this point, I should mention that I got very little sleep this past weekend. I was on call Friday and Sunday, and ended up spending 12 hours at the hospital with Pesto on Saturday because we thought she might have a debilitating neurological condition (she does not).

My call was super busy, and Rick James was on to something when he said that “cocaine is a hell of a drug.”

This morning when I got home around 9:30, I decided to only sleep for about 2 hours because I hate to waste such a beautiful day lying in bed. Also, I wanted to get some sleep tonight.

All of this is to say that I was probably not at my best this afternoon, but I still managed to go for quite a long run. I thought the Aqua Fit would be a nice cool down.

Cool down is right! I was freezing in the pool, which I probably should’ve taken as a sign of something amiss because everyone else was hot and sweating. Aqua Fit, as it turns out, is kind of awkward and not that fun.The best part was cross country skiing on a pool noodle in the deep end.

All was well until out of nowhere, in the deep end, I was gripped by severe, bilateral, debilitating calf cramps. Oh my God. Imagine the worst leg cramp of your life, times two, in the deep end of a pool where you cannot put your foot down. I thought I would drown because I could not get it together enough to swim to the side of the pool. I’m afraid I made a small scene. Phoebe was no help because she was laughing so hard that she was actually at risk of drowning too. I had to hoist my seized legs out of the pool and hobble over to the hot tub, where I stayed until the class was over. The instructor was a bit dismayed.

Suffice it to say, I will no longer be participating in Aqua Fit.


XOT


3 Comments:

Blogger Tamara said...

Fancy! So nice to see you blogging again.

I hear you on the aquafit misadventures. I blogged about my first poolside preggers experience here:

http://mooreparkmom.blogspot.com/2007/12/so-this-is-how-pregnant-women-exercise.html

Fear not, aquafit gets more fun after the first leg cramp is out of the way.

6:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hilarious. i love near-drowning experiences.

that photo is really disturbing...

8:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please come back to aqua fit. I went again this morning and fully enjoyed the workout while watching all the interesting people who swim at 10:30 on a Friday morning. I have seen enough see-through bathing suits to last me till next class....come back and enjoy in the fun!

4:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home